I think the most painful realisation comes when you find that you cannot speak your mother tongue as well as you do the language of the land where you grew up. My English is evidence of this. When something as simple as a colour, or the name of an animal in your mother tongue leaves you dumb. Yesterday I could not find the world for ‘turtle’ in Somali, only after my mother reminded me, did I recall knowing it.
We betray our mother tongues, for the languages of nations who will never fully accept us. We let the strangeness infest our mouths until we forget how to accommodate our original tongues.
"She looked strangely young, yet worn, exhausted. Her eyes were a peculiar glassy green, rather small, shrinking. She was no beauty, with eyebrows and lashes so pale a red as to be nearly colorless, and a translucent skin showing a tracery of small blue veins at her temples. Yet there was something fierce and implacable in her. A stubborness, almost a radiance. Like she had been wounded, real deep. Humiliated. But she was going to see it through, every drop of it."
#about a boy
- anger: when those dumbass admits, stumbling drunk and red faced around the quick service food place, dared to try and cut me…or block the pick up food place…I fucking hate these kinds of kids, entitled bitchass kids who can’t even be sober the first night they get to a new place, always yelling and shouting and conglomerating into huge masses that inconvenience everyone else. I made sure to shove them a little (even though everything in me was screaming that I was being crazy impolite and I had to stifle a couple of ‘excuse me’s) and felt a little bad, until one of the pack who got left behind screamed at me as I was walking back: “WAIT WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FOOD?” and “ARE THERE FREE VAGINAS?”
- surprise: there’s this boy in one of my classes and he didn’t look at me the first day but I made some dumb joke with another kid and now I catch him looking at me with that wide eyed look and I am a little flattered but mostly uncomfortable because he really doesn’t know what he’s in for, they never do
- uncertainty: I know I fell in love with this boy but I don’t know what he’s said of me…I’ve caught his new girlfriend looking at me and I don’t know if it’s because she knows who I am or she’s been told what I’ve done….I don’t know if it’s fear or reserve in her eyes. But I don’t really feel like finding out
- security: I’m going to try to text him thursday. let’s see if this guaranteed booty call thing can actually work
- sadness: the weekends been postponed and my parents are really only coming for a day and a half…when it was supposed to be 3. We’re supposed to be celebrating. And they’ve been working this entire time and it just makes me sad that we can almost never do stuff together or set our family as priority because they have to work and I understand why but it makes me sad nonetheless, I just wish I had enough to pay for everyone and everything
- exhilaration: ONE OF MY BESTIES GOT INTO THE COLLEGES SHE APPLIED TO AND I AM SO PROUD AND HAPPY AND EXCITED FOR HER
How does a female go about proving to a male that she loves him more?
#this actually how i go about doing it too
you have to make yourself bigger than him. Like how youre supposed to scare off bears. Put your arms over your head and make deep, guttural noises until he accepts you as the alpha male. Then you mate with him to carry on his lineage, then you eat your young just so he knows you can. Never let him near any other women by asserting your dominance by a show of ritual dance and acid spit. Never leave your pups unattended, the world is full of predators.
|Romeo:||Out of her favor where I am in love.
|Benvolio:||*looks into the camera like he's on The Office*